Sunday, April 6, 2008

Balik Kampung

The short trip back to Tampok surfaced many wonderful memories from the past with him.

How at the R&R stop he would be the first to go to the toilet and then while waiting for us, stretch his arms after a long drive, look at people, and when everyone is out he would ask us "Dah siap?" before we continue. He would also quip about the funny things people do around him while he was waiting for us.

In the car the whole family would take turns making jokes, sometimes about each other! I remember the many times where we would crack a stupid joke, and he would just sit with a blank face and then said "Hmm..tak faham la." Then Cha and me would spend the next 5 minutes explaining the whole joke to him.

In Tampok, he always told me that when Arwah Fuang Ambok was alive, he would wake up early as usual to find a copy of the New Straits Times waiting for him at the verandah. The religious discussions with Fuang Mamak were always a highlight of his visit there. I remember one morning Nazmi, me and himself were watching TV at the lounge upstairs. While attentively watching the show on TV, he in an almost nonchalant manner, released a substantial amount of wind from the back! Complete with the sound effects! I remember Nazmi staring at him in wonder. And he just quietly smiled as he always does.

I will never forget him

2 comments:

aishah.S said...

nahh.. he wont laugh! he'd sniggered and then would stutterly change the subject. haha.

and at night, mak will bring up the famous black coffee for bapak.

kan?

he will forever be dearly missed.

Azlan said...

I remember him enjoying the serenity from the verandah... it was always his fav part of the trip... he would continue to share the story, that while one day enjoying the view, Ambok would unexpectedly bring morning coffee to him!

In any event, I will remember bapak as somebody who treasures family relationship. Though the Tampokians are not his real blood family, its pretty much close!